Monday, September 26, 2011

Long Time, No Post!

Afternoon all! I haven't posted on here for ages, and I want to get back into it, but before I do, I should give you the lowdown on whats happened since last time!

I am now officially a student at the University of Lincoln, studying English and Journalism. In fact, I had my first lecture today, which, funnily enough considering the topics of this blog, was Introduction to Poetry. It was pretty interesting, although not really about poetry, but you're not interested in that so i will shut up and move on.

I'm also now a published poet! Do I hear sarcastic applause? Well, I know it isn't much, but publication is publication! The two poems I've had published are called Daffodil Grove and Embers. Daffodil Grove was published in an anthology called Seeds of Inspiration, and Embers in one called Uplifting Moments. Apparently they will be available in "all good bookshops" as the saying goes, so buy them! I don't get royalties though, which sucks...anyway, since I retain the copyright to both poems, I'll put them below so you can have a little read. Hope you enjoy! (Note: This isn't me trying to vanity or self publish online, I'm putting these on here purely because I want you to enjoy them).

Daffodil Grove.
There are no daffodils in
Daffodil Grove, nor is it a grove.
The sleepy suburban street offers no
Residence for natural beauty. Yet,
With its quaint bungalow and
Its gentle slope, it is at
Peace with nature.

It is an oasis of calm, a retreat
From the chaos of the world. Its
Elderly residents can be seen tottering up
The street, waving and calling each other cheerfully
With no prejudice, no judgement, just genuine
Pleasure at the sight of neighbours;
The sight of friends.

Almost it is Atlantean, an image of
Lost community in the world, and the
Epitome of what society should be.
No, Daffodil Grove, does not bear flowers,
And there is not a tree in sight.
Still, it is synonymous with nature-
The nature of humanity.

Feel free to criticise the fact that this is in free verse (I get called lazy, and am told that "it isn't poetry." However, since it has been published in a poetry anthology, I'm leaning towards the conclusion that it is, in fact, a poem. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe it's a novel. What do I know? I'm just studying English at university.... ;) )

Embers
Glowing dimly, a fiery red.
Long it has been since the flames were fed.
yet still they flicker, though small and tame.
Like an unsolved murder with no one to blame.
Though wood can burn, and smoke retire,
Nothing can extinguish this resolute fire.

From the ashes, a phoenix is born,
Like a blooming rose on an early summer morn.
It raises its head and sings its song,
Before taking flight to where it belongs;
In the heart of the beholder, those who seek hope,
And those having difficulty in managing to cope.

To those who need guidance down a troubled path,
Or those recovering from nature's wrath
Or those who think nothing they do will suffice
I can offer but one piece of advice:
Whatever you do, you must always remember,
That a phoenix can be born from the smallest of embers.

So yeah, those are my published poems. Feel free to comment and leave your feedback, I welcome criticism or praise! I should be posting more regularly now, especially about poker since I have joined the university's poker society and will be playing more often!

If there is anything about poker or poetry that you want advice on, feel free to email me, my address is on my profile, but I'll give it again here: craig_butler1493@hotmail.co.uk
Please don't spam me though, I will have to block any contact with you if you do.

Until next time,
Adios!
Craig
x

No comments:

Post a Comment